Shih Tzu are not common pets, they are special due to their God gifted adorability. People can be seen carrying Shih Tzu like their kids in the parks, shopping malls and many other places. People having this pet usually think that they know everything about these pretty fur balls. But still there are some interesting facts that you might be unaware of.
Below mentioned are some of those facts that Shih Tzu owners are usually unaware:
- literal meaning of Shih Tzu is “Lion Dog” that is originally a Chinese name i.e. Shih Tzu Kou means ‘son’ or ‘child’. The word Kou was later dropped after the breed became prominent in Europe.
- Shih Tzu are considered as majestic dogs that were usually kept by royals as pets especially during Chinese Ming Dynasty.
- Shih Tzu were about to distinct when General Douglas and Lady Bownright saved almost 14 breeds of Shih Tzu by adopting them.
- After World War II Shih Tzu gained popularity in United States. When soldiers returned to US they brought several breeds among them and in this way Shih Tzu breed expanded across US.
- Now Shih Tzu has gained immense fame especially in United Stated. According to statistical surveys, Shih Tzu are the dogs that are most in demand and are ranked in top 10 most desired breed of Dogs.
- Due to its delicate and fury appearance Shih Tzu are also known as Chrysanthemum dogs. Chrysanthemum is a flower that is also significant in Chinese culture.
- Shih Tzu fur is actually hair that is misinterpreted as fur. In reality Shih Tzu have thick silky hair that are totally alike human hair that needs regular combing and cleaning.
- Famous persons Mariah Carey had two Shih Tzu pets named Bing and Bong. The technology leader Bill Gates also had a Shih Tzu named Ballmer.
- Shih Tzu are vulnerable to eye infections. It’s because they have bulging eyes and long hair that irritates eyes if not trimmed well. It’s very necessary to take care of this otherwise infections unattended could seriously harm Shih Tzu dog.
- If Shih Tzu is actively playing and roaming in home, then this much physical activity is enough for them and no extra workout sessions is required.
Usually we show too much care for the pet when it’s new in our home but with some time, we lose our excitement and became unconcerned. The Shih Tzu are very sensitive and have deep emotions. They could feel the neglect and could seriously get disappointed if proper attention and care is not provided to them.